Christ Church Rathgar, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland.History

Home Noticeboard Location Contact Activities Hall Bookings Youth Work History In Praise of God Junior Church Book 1859-2009 Verse of the Day Reflections Humour Photo Gallery
 site search

CHRIST CHURCH RATHGAR

site map

Christ Church Rathgar

A brief History of the Presbyterian Congregation of
CHRIST
CHURCH RATHGAR

 

How does one ‘briefly’ report the history of a congregation that is celebrated its 150th birthday in 2009? So much has happened and so much is still happening that this can only be a snap shot of a congregation, which has faithfully sought to witness to the Good News of Jesus Christ over a century and a half.

In 1859 there were at least a score of Presbyterians living in the Rathmines Rathgar area and in September of that year, six men petitioned the Presbytery of Dublin to establish a regular Sunday evening service in the old school house in Rathmines. Early in November of the same year, permission was granted and the congregation was born. At the first meeting of the Church committee £725 was pledged by 20 members and the decision was taken to seek out a suitable site for a Presbyterian Church to be built. By December, steps were being taken to acquire the present site.  A call was issued to the Rev. William Fleming Stevenson and in January 1860, he began his ministry in Rathmines.

 

Rev. William Fleming Stevenson, D.D.


The Very Rev. William Fleming Stevenson, D.D.
First Minister of the congregation
(1860-1886)

& Moder
ator of the General Assembly (1881)

 

In 18Cornerstone (www.christart.com)60 an invitation was issued to architects to compete for designs to build a church to seat 400 people at a cost of £2,000. The foundation stone was laid on 19th July 1860On the 2nd of February 1862, the Church was completed, consecrated and opened ten years after the church was opened there were 203 children in the Sunday School and there was a long list of Sunday and midweek services both in the church and in the Mission Hall in Rathmines.

 

January 1907 - Plan of Church showing suggested extension
January 1907 - Plan of Church showing suggested transept extension (not undertaken).

By 1899, the church was too small to hold the congregation and plans to enlarge the church were put in place. In 1900, both transepts were lengthened and the chancel was added, altogether providing an extra 160 seats.  The pipe organ was also installed. By 1908, there were 525 names on the Communion Roll and further extension work was being considered.

  

 

Christ Church Rathgar- church interior 

Present day photograph of the church interior, which shows the 1900 expansion measures - enlarged transepts, addition of the chancel to take the choir and pipe organ.

 

Present day photograph of the church interior, showing the west gallery (previously the Choir Loft), which was extended in 1900 to provide additional seating.

 

Christ Church Rathgar - church interior showing the gallery
 
   

In 1913 Rev. Dr. James Jordan Macaulay became the minister. These were troubled times both in the world and in Ireland but the congregation sustained its faithful witness.

Christ Church Rathgar has a distinguished history in the wider Presbyterian Church.  No less than three of its Ministers were called to the highest office of the Church – Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, Rev. W.F. Stevenson (1881), Rev. J.J. McCaulay (1932) and Rev. T.A.B. Smyth (1959).  

Though the congregation is smaller now, it is no less faithful to its mission of worship and service. In the sixties, a suite of halls were built on the former site of Rathgar Lodge and plans are well advanced for a complete refurbishment of these halls [edit: completed in October 2007] to meet the needs of the church in the twenty first century.  This will be the contribution of the present members to the future of the congregation.


Text compiled by the Rev. C. Mary Hunter, B.A., B.D., M.Min., (August 2005)
Minister of Christ Church Rathgar, 1989 - 2014

 

The Very Rev. James Jordan Macaulay, B.A., D.D.


The Very Rev. James Jordan Macaulay, B.A., D.D.
Fourth Minister of the congregation (1913-1938)
& Moder
ator of the General Assembly (1932)

Signature of The Very Rev. Dr. J. J. Macaulay

 

The Very Rev. Dr. Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth, B.A., D.D.

 The Very Rev. Dr. Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth, B.A., D.D.


The Very Rev. Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth, B.A., D.D.
Sixth Minister of the congregation (1948 - 1970) and Senior Minister (1970 - 1989)
&
Moderator of the General Assembly (1959)

 
 

Plaque commerating a cross erected in memory of Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth & Nora Pringle Smyth

Dedicated on 28 April 1991, t
his timber cross is located above the pulpit and was made by Billy Somerville (of Ballina Presbyterian Church).  The timber from which it was made was part of a chock block used to steady ships docked for maintenance and repair in Harland & Wolff’s shipyard in Belfast, Northern Ireland.  Dr. Smyth had spent part of his early ministry at Great Victoria Street in that city.  The cross was donated by their three daughters, Mary English, Janet MacDermott and Celia Hill.


 

Cross erected in memory of Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth & Nora Pringle Smyth
 
 

"CHRIST CHURCH RATHGAR 1859 - 2009"
 

CCR history book

 

Further historical information available from the history book published in 2009: "Christ Church Rathgar 1859-2009".  Celebrating 150 years of Christian Witness, this publication covers the church's history in two sections: 1859 - 1959 and 1959 - 2009.  Purchase your copy now!

Book: "Christ Church Rathgar 1859-2009"

Back to top

 
 

The Origin of Christ Church Rathgar

 

“Presbyterians have been an influential section of Dublin's population since the early 1600s”, writes the author of a remarkable little guide book to the city published in 1821.  He adds that they are distinguished “for industry, opulence and public spirit," a judgement, we hope, not less merited today.

Twenty years earlier, at the turn of the century, Dublin had a total population of close upon a quarter of a million, slowly and steadily increasing.  Though there were still areas not yet filled with buildings within the encircling canals, the city was upon the eve of a quite spectacular suburban expansion.  The minds of many of its inhabitants were turning towards the open lands which lay beyond the urban boundaries, the desire to live away from the scenes of work was growing among them, and ways of access were soon to be provided.  The more well-to-do, as might be expected, were first to move to new-built houses and villas, others, less well endowed, were to follow them to the green areas beyond the canals made up of farms, demesnes, gardens and scattered villages.

One of these villages was Rathmines, an ancient place two miles to the south of the city's centre, and approached, not very directly, by a winding road, now Mount Pleasant Avenue.  This partial isolation was not to last.  Soon after 1800 a new road, straight and wide, was laid out from Portobello to the village and along it there sprang up brick houses in the sedate style of Georgian Dublin, generously endowed with garden space.  Other roads quickly followed, among them the straight wide line to Rathgar.  It too, was quickly, though less closely, bordered with houses.  Around Rathmines itself the expansion was rapid and the area became populous enough by 1828 to move the Established Church to erect a place of worship, a chapel-of-ease to St. Peter's, in that year.

It was in this grown-up Rathmines, thirty-one years later that the Rathgar congregation was born.  At least a score of Presbyterian families were living round about and desired to have a place of worship in their midst. The first step towards this end was made in the September of 1859 when a Memorial was presented to the Dublin Presbytery by Messrs. Hugh Moore, James S. Millar, David Drummond and William Aitken, requesting that a regular Sabbath evening service be established in the old school house in Rathmines.  This structure, in which was the small and unattractive room in which the services were conducted, no longer exists.  It is marked, however, on the earliest edition of the Ordnance map of Dublin (1837).  Here it appears at the northern end of a row of buildings extending city-wards from the avenue to Greenville House (now York Road) to a point a little north of the Mission House, 116 Upper Rathmines.

The sought-for permission to form a congregation was granted by the Presbytery early in November and an interim Session was appointed.  Worship under the leadership of ministers of the city churches, the Reverend John Hall of the Scots Church in particular, began in the school house.  But this building, it was recognized from the first, could and should be no more than a temporary home; at the first official meeting of the Church Committee contributions of over £725 towards the building of a new church were promised by twenty members.  At the same meeting arrangements were made for the collection of additional monies and certain members were entrusted with the task of finding a suitable site.  Several were inspected: one at the junction of Leeson Park and the Appian Way; the other on the Rathgar Road, at Leicester Avenue - Murphy's Field.  No offer was made for the first and the second, it was later reported, had been given to the Roman Catholics (also in search of a site in the expanding suburb) for the church built there soon after.  By December the present site was reported on and steps taken to acquire it from the owner.

On the first day of the same month, twenty-seven members of the congregation signed a call to the Reverend William Fleming Stevenson, then assistant Minister of the Alfred Street Church, Belfast.  He had ministered already more than once in the temporary home of the congregation and the invitation had unanimous support.  In January, 1860, he began his ministry in Rathmines before the formal ordination which took place in Adelaide Road Church on the 1st of March.  His ministry was fruitful in every respect and to him Rathgar owes much.  He was a devoted pastor, a preacher of great power, and a man of the warmest sympathy.  Under his inspired ministrations the congregation grew from a small body to a large one. Missions at home and abroad were his master-passions and he was incessantly active in their cause.

There was no delay in preparations for the projected building. In the December issue of the local architectural journal, The Dublin Builder there a note that a plan for the church was being made by Mr. E. P. Gribbon, a Dublin architect.  This seems to have been but a speculative effort, since, in the early days of January, 1860, an invitation to architects to submit designs in competition appeared in the daily press.  The conditions called for a church to seat 400 people at a cost of £2,000, a sum, as it proved, less than sufficient to provide a worthy and dignified structure.  Thirteen designs were received, most of them from Dublin architects.  Two, however, were Scottish, Messrs. Heiton (Perth) and Dewar (Glasgow).  At a meeting of the building committee (Messrs. Thomas Drury, J. P., David Drummond, Robert Bell, Hugh Moore, and Henry Richardson) the competing schemes were considered.  All but three were rejected.  No one of these three was accepted outright; all were retained for closer consideration.  Later the design by the Glasgow architect was eliminated and a compromise solution proposed: a combination of the exterior of Mr. Gribbon's scheme with the internal planning of that by Mr. Heiton.  This was not, in the end, proceeded with and Mr. Andrew [edit: Heiton] of Perth, was commissioned as sole architect for the new church.  It is of interest to note that Mr. Heiton carried out other work for the Presbyterian community in Dublin: the church [edit: Findlater's] at Rutland (now Parnell) Square and that at York Road, Kingstown [the latter known as Dun Laoghaire, since 1921] which went up in 1863.  The York Road structure is of particular interest in this connection since it was a replica of Christ Church as first erected.  In both churches the pulpit was high and centrally placed in the “eastern” recess beneath the rose window.  In both, the gallery filled no more than the opposite recess (as it still does at York Road.  The inspiration of the architecture is English Gothic of the early fourteenth century period when window tracery was evolving from forms almost purely geometric into more fluent, flowing lines.  In a fashion almost traditional in Dublin since the early part of the eighteenth century the materials chosen were granite dressed with Portland stone.  These well selected stones have stood the test of time and weather in admirable fashion.

The contractor entrusted with the execution of the work was Mr. Gilbert Cockburn, a builder of high repute who had erected many important structures in Ireland and Dublin.  Among the latter may be noted the National Gallery and Natural History Museum on Leinster Lawn and the Engineering School, Trinity College, so highly commended by John Ruskin.  The first stone of Christ Church was laid on July the 19th, 1860 by the Reverend Dr. Cooke of Belfast.  When the building was sufficiently advanced, the Rathmines congregation left its temporary home in the old school-house [edit: no longer standing] and moved into the basement storey, the lecture hall, of the new church.

First Services held on 28th July, 1861 when the Rev. Dr. J. Morgan, of Fisherwick Place, Belfast, and the Rev. Dr. John Hall, of Mary's Abbey, preached, on 2nd February, 1862 the church was opened, the Rev. Dr. Norman MacLeod, of the Barony Church, Glasgow, preaching at both Services.

Text compiled by the late Harold G. Leask, M.R.I.A., Litt.D.

(excerpt from "Christ Church Rathgar, The Story of One Hundred Years", 1962 and reproduced in 2009 in Christ Church Rathgar 1859-2009).

 

Back to top

 
 

Ministers of Christ Church Rathgar: Past & Present

     
     
 

Rev. William Fleming Stevenson, D.D.

 

The Rev. George Hanson, M.A., D.D.

 
     
 


The Very Rev. William Fleming Stevenson, D.D.
First Minister of the congregation
(1860-1886)

& Moder
ator of the General Assembly (1881)

 


The Rev. George Hanson, M.A., D.D.
Second Minister of the congregation
(1886-1898)

 
     
     

 

The Rev. John Stewart, B.A., D.D.


The Rev. John Stewart, B.A., D.D.
Third Minister of the congregation
(1898-1913)
 

 


The Very Rev. James Jordan Macaulay, B.A., D.D.
Fourth Minister of the congregation
(1913-1938)

& Moder
ator of the General Assembly (1932)

 
     
     
 

The Rev. Robert Montgomery, B.A.


The Rev. Robert Montgomery, B.A.
Fifth Minister of the congregation
(1938-1947)

 

The Very Rev. Dr. Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth, B.A., D.D.


The Very Rev. Thomas Alexander Byers Smyth,
B.A., D.D.
Sixth Minister of the congregation
(1948 - 1970); Senior Minister (1970 - 1989);
&
Moderator of the General Assembly (1959)

 
 

 

 

Rev. Dr. Robin W. MacDermott

 

The Rev. C. Mary Hunter

 
 


The Rev. Robin W. J. MacDermott,
M.A., B.D., S.T.M., D.D.


Seventh Minister of the Congregation
(1970 - 1989)

 


The Rev. C. Mary Hunter,
B.A., B.D., M.Min.


Eighth Minister of the Congregation
(1989 - 2014)

 
     
     
 

 

 

 
 


The Rev. Peter Purvis Campbell
B.Agr., B.D., M.Phil., M.Sc. in
Counselling
and Therapeutic Communication


Ninth Minister of the Congregation
(2017 - present)

 

 
 

Back to top

 

 
 

History of the District of Rathgar

 

The lands of Rathgar, up to the Reformation, were an outlying 90 acre farm of the Nunnery of St. Mary de Hogges (Mounds) which stood in College Green on or about the site of the Parliament House, now the Bank of Ireland.  There was a house, a granary and farm buildings at Rathgar besides a woodland.  At the Dissolution of the Monasteries the lands were granted to Nicholas Segrave.  Later, in the early 1600's, the occupant was John Cusack, Mayor of Dublin in 1608.  The castle, or manor, remained in Cusack possession for at least a century and its ruins were still standing at the end of the 18th century, but they had suffered greatly, first in the Battle of Rathmines in 1649 in which the Parliamentarian garrison of Dublin defeated the Royalist army under the Duke of Ormond.  In 1784 the buildings suffered again during a field-day sham battle of the Volunteers.

 

The most reliable authorities place the site of the castle on the ground immediately south of the upper end of Rathgar Road, (44-49 Highfield Road).  The lane or bridle track to it is now Rathgar Avenue, the oldest road in the locality.  Highfield Road is of much later date.  It was laid out in 1753 to connect the old castle of Rathmines with Terenure and Rathfarnham.

 

The meaning of “Rathgar” is not clear and Dr. Joyce does not give it in his book on Irish place names.  There was a ring work (rath) but “gar” is not explained.  It is not so clear as Rathmines - “the Fort of the Moines” an Anglo-Irish family.  Old people used to call it “Ramoynes” which is correct - the “t” being silent in Irish speech.  The ancient spelling is still preserved in Moyne Road.

 

It seems unlikely that there ever was a village at Rathgar.  The most notable feature of the place was the large quarry of “black stone”, the calp limestone.  From the quarry were drawn the stones for Portobello Barracks and, according to tradition, those for Archbishop Minot's great tower of St. Patrick's Cathedral, begun about 1372.

 

Orwell Road used to be known as Windmill Lane by reason of the drainage mill for the quarry.  It was a windmill, still standing, as the writer remembers, in the early 1900's, on a bluff just beside Glengyle, now Stratford [College Secondary] School, Zion Road.

 

That the population of Rathgar was still expanding when Christ Church was finished is illustrated by a fact of interest: the proposal to lay out a railway from the city to Rathgar and thence to Rathcoole.  The city terminus was to be in Trinity Street.  The Bill, promoted in Parliament, actually reached the Committee stage in 1865 but failed to pass.  One of the arguments made in its favour was the potential suburban traffic.  The Railway had a resounding title: The Rathmines, Rathgar and Rathcoole Railway.  Up to 1863 the only routes to the Churchtown area were very indirect - either by Classon's Bridge, near Dartry, or by Rathfarnham.  Soon after this date Orwell (originally Waldron's) Bridge was completed and led to the slow development of the southern hinterland of Rathgar.

 

Text compiled by the late Harold G. Leask, M.R.I.A., Litt.D.

(excerpt from "Christ Church Rathgar, The Story of One Hundred Years", 1962 and reproduced in 2009 in Christ Church Rathgar 1859-2009).

 
 

Back to top

 
 
 

Church Archive Photographs

 

Rev. Henry Cooke, D.D., LL.D., of Belfast - laid the Foundation Stone of Christ Church Rathgar on 19 July 1860.
 

 

The opening of Christ Church Rathgar, on Sunday, 2 February 1862.

 From left to right: the Rev. Norman MacLeod, D.D., of the Barony Church, Glasgow, Mr. J. Cockburn of Messrs. Gilbert Cockburn & Sons (Builders) and the Rev. William Fleming Stevenson, D.D.
 

 
 

Christ Church Rathgar’s first purchased Manse, “Orwell Bank”, Rathgar, 1878-1898.  Purchased for £1,950.

(It was demolished in the mid 1980s)
 

 
 

Christ Church Rathgar, circa. 1900

Rathgar crossroads and Christ Church Rathgar (centre), circa 1900.
 

 
 

Christ Church Rathgar, circa. 1900

Rathgar crossroads and Christ Church Rathgar (centre), circa 1900.

Note the electrified tram lines above the street, which were added in the late 1800's.

Previously, Rathgar had a horse-drawn omnibus service from 1833, running to Anglesea Street, for a fare of 4d.
 

The first horse drawn tram to Rathgar ran on 1 February 1873.
 

 
 
CCR interior, April 1948

Church interior, April 1948.

(pre the replacement of the chancel rails, choir screen and pulpit in 1950 and side doorway in 1953)
 

 
 

Women's World Day of Prayer, held at Christ Church Rathgar, 1 March 1991. 
From left to right: Thea Boyle, Rev. C. M. Hunter and H.E. President Mary Robinson.
[Reproduced COURTESY of the IRISH PRESS]
 

 
 

Family Morning Worship, Christmas Day 2008.
 

Back to top

 
 

Memorial to the Fallen

 
images/Chancel, showing the Memorial to the Fallen carved oak rails
 
Roll of Honour (plaques): In memory of those Members of the Congregation who served and fell, 1914-1918 and 1939-1945.
 
Christ Church Rathgar WW1 Roll of Honour Christ Church Rathgar WW2 Roll of Honour

1914 - 1918: Lieut. Mervyn Kebble Anderson, 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment (fell May 1915):
 

According to the 1911 Census, Mervyn Kebble Anderson was the first born son of James and Sarah Olivia Anderson.  James hailed from Co. Roscommon and Sarah from England. In the Census James lists his occupation as ‘Commercial Trader’ and underneath as an afterthought he adds by way of explanation ‘tobacco’.  Mervyn, nineteen years old at the time, lists his occupation as ‘Clerk’ and also adds ‘tobacco’ to the record, so apparently the son was following the father into the business.  There was a second son Alfred Wolfgang who was aged sixteen in 1911 and listed as apprentice engineer and a daughter, Lavinia Harriet, aged fourteen years old, a scholar. Eliza Ellen Patterson was staying with the family at the time of the Census and was a cousin, aged nineteen years old and stated her occupation as a ‘drapers assistant’. Lieut. M. K. Anderson, 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment

Mervyn was the fourth son of James and Sarah.  Three had pre-deceased Mervyn by the time that he fell during the War.  The 1901 Census lists the family living in 454 Waterloo Place, Pembroke West, Dublin.  The family was complete at this stage with the four sons and daughter all residing together along with two servants and a Governess. James, the father, listed his occupation as a ‘Commercial Traveller’ with the footnote stating ‘whiskey’ in this record.  The children then alive were Edis Cyril (12), Lionch James (11), Robert William George (10), Mervyn Kebble (9), Alfred Wolfgang (7) and Harriet Lavinia (4).  The family experienced a tragic time between 1901 and 1915 loosing four of their five offspring, one to war.

Lieut. Mervyn Kebble Anderson’s family placed a notice recording his life, family circumstances and brief military career as follows:

Lieut. Mervyn Kebble Anderson 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment 4th son of James Anderson of Brentford, Orwell Park, Dublin and his wife Sarah Olivia daughter of Michael Thomas Brown; born Ballina, Co. Mayo on 22 January 1892; educated at the Diocesan School and St Andrews College Dublin; gazetted 2 Lieut. to the 3rd Battalion (Special Reserve) of the Royal Irish Regiment 12 Sept 1914; went to the Front in January 1915.  He was wounded by shrapnel while passing through a communications trench at Ypres on 7 May 1915 and died in No. 7 Stationary Hospital at Boulogne, 11 May 1915 following.  His Captain wrote: “As his Captain I know him better than any other officer in the Regiment, and next to his own people I don’t know who could feel his death more than I do, unless it be his men.  He was always so good to them and thoughtful of their comfort.  He was indeed, a true type of British Officer.”

Lieut. Anderson was posted to the 3rd Reserve Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment.  This Battalion was based in Ireland for the duration of the war, its officers and men bolstering losses suffered by the 1st and 2nd Battalions of that Regiment as the War progressed.  In 1915 the 1st Battalion was engaged in the Battle of Ypres when Lieut. Anderson was mortally wounded.  This Unit had originally been based in Nasirabad, India, and in October 1914 it embarked for England from Bombay arriving at Devonport Plymouth and then moving to Winchester as part of the 82nd Brigade of the 27th Division.  In December 1914 it mobilised for War and landed at Le Havre and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including in 1915 the actions at St Eloi and The Second Battle of Ypres.


1914 - 1918: Private Phinlo Saint John Quirk, 104th Field Ambulance, 35th Division (died 1917)
 

Private Phinlo Saint John QuirkPrivate Phinlo Saint John Quirk, service number 68066, 104th Field Ambulance, 35th Division, was born in Baymount, Dalkey, Dublin on 24 June 1899, and was aged 18 when he died of measles and pneumonia during the winter of 1917, dying in Rouen, France on 09 February 1917, in which town he is buried, lying there in the British Commonwealth War Cemetery.

Phinlo was educated at Rathgar National School Dublin and on leaving there was apprenticed to Messrs Harland and Wolff in Belfast, following his family in the maritime tradition.  The parental home was 31 Garville Avenue, Rathgar, Dublin.  He Joined the Royal Army Medical Corps on 01 September 1915 and served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from January 1916.

The 1901 Census lists his family as living in No.5 Vico Road Dalkey.  His mother Anna Martin hailed from Armagh City, daughter of John Gillespie-Deacon, and his father Hugh Griffith Quirk listed Kirkpatrick, Isle of Man as his home town location. Hugh Quirk was a Master Mariner / Teacher of Navigation and included in the Census details to the effect that he was also a Marine Surveyor and Secretary of the Leinster District Shipping Federation. Listing themselves as Church of Ireland their first born son Richard (aged 8 at the time of the 1901 census) had by the time of the 1911 Census followed his father into the teaching business as he is listed in that Census as a Teacher of Navigation.  Hugh Griffith Quirk was six years old in the 1901 Census but does not appear in the 1911 entry, for unknown and perhaps tragic reasons.  A third son Gerald was nine years old at the time of the 1911 Census. In this census the family changes their religious affiliation to Protestant Episcopalian.

The 1901 Census provides other details of their family household circumstances there being a nephew and two borders lodging with the Quirk family.  Unsurprisingly there was a strong maritime flavour to the background of the lodgers.  Richard Kellett, a Chief Mate (Mariner), was 20 years old, single, and hailed from Cheshire. Henry Wright 38 from Co. Monaghan was a Surveyor of Taxes and also unmarried.  Also resident was Walter Hope Atkinson, a Chiefs Mate (Mariner) was twenty six years old, unmarried and from Co. Armagh.  In 1911 Ms Bridget Byrne from Kilkenny was the family’s General Domestic Servant.  Phinlo is listed in the 1911 Census as a Scholar, aged 12.  From Phinlo’s Death Notice it appears that Hugh pre-deceased his son and records show this to be so, his death being recorded in 1913. Thus the family suffered a second sad blow when Phinlo died in France.

 

Royal Army Medical Corps during World War 1

Formed in 1898, The Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) is a specialist corps in the British Army which provides medical services to all British Army personnel and their families in war and in peace.  Together with the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, the Royal Army Dental Corps and Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, the RAMC forms the British Army's essential Army Medical Services.

The RAMC does not carry a Regimental Colour or Queen's Colour, although it has a Regimental Flag.  Nor does it have battle honours, as elements of the corps have been present in almost every single war the army has fought. Because it is not a fighting arm, under the Geneva Conventions, members of the RAMC may only use their weapons for self-defence.  For this reason, there are two traditions that the RAMC perform when on parade: Officers do not draw their swords - instead they hold their scabbard with their left hand while saluting with their right, other Ranks do not fix bayonets. Unlike medical officers in some other countries, medical officers in the RAMC (and the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force) do not use the "Dr" prefix, in parentheses or otherwise, but only their rank, although they may be addressed informally as "Doctor”.

 

"We shall remember them."


 
 

*** More photos in the Photo Gallery ***

 

Back to top

 

Christ Church Rathgar are not responsible for the content of external websites, nor do they necessarily endorse their sponsoring organizations.

Back to top

Copyright © 2005 onwards - Christ Church Rathgar

Contact
contact

Christ Church Rathgar, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland.

Back to top

 

  The Origin of CCR

  Ministers of CCR

  Rathgar District History

  A Brief History of CCR

The Burning Bush - Ardens Sed Virens
Clock...passage of time

  Church Archive Photos

  Irish Presbyterianism
  The Code (Constitution)

   Memorial to the Fallen

 

  CCR History Book