Christ Church Rathgar, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland.Photo Gallery

Home Noticeboard Location Contact Activities Hall Bookings Youth Work History In Praise of God Junior Church Book 1859-2009 Verse of the Day Reflections Humour Photo Gallery
 site search

CHRIST CHURCH RATHGAR

site map

 

Click on any image to enlarge

 

 

Copyright © Christ Church Rathgar (unless noted otherwise)

 
 

 

 

Christ Church Rathgar

Main entrance (west-facing).

Christ Church Rathgar

Highfield Road entrance (south-facing).

Church interior

Facing the Chancel, Organ and Pulpit.

Church interior

Showing the west window, gallery and vaulted timber roof.

Church interior

The gallery (originally the Choir Loft), which was extended in 1900.

Church interior

Photographed from the west gallery, shows the rose window, organ, Chancel and Pulpit.

Clerk of Kirk Session

Brig. Gen. Paul Fry

CCR Children's Library

Launched in February 2009 - organised by Jill McQuillan (top left) & Meriel Wolfe (top right). For further details, see the NOTICEBOARD.

Stained glass window

Designed by a Miss. Geddes, under whose direction the work was carried out by a Miss. Purser.

“The 3-light traceried window was chosen to commemorate Revd. Dr. John Stewart Minister of CCR 1898-1913, and the subject “St. Peter preaching to the Jews” was because of his renown as a preacher. Wilhelmina Geddes worked with Sarah Purser at An Túr Gloine they were at the head of the Irish Arts and Crafts movement in Ireland and the 20th century stained glass revival. Geddes was able to use new coloured glass available at that time, to make the strong colours in the window, the window stands out in the otherwise restrained setting of a Presbyterian Church. Geddes was ill during 1915 and this delayed the completion of the window, it was finally dedicated in January 1916 Wilhelmina Geddes went on to create other great windows, not only in Ireland but in the UK, New Zealand, Canada and Belgium.”

Information attributed to Ms Nicola Gordon Bowe from her book “Wilhelmina Geddes Life and Work”.

Stained glass

Part of the detail from the upper traceries of a stained glass window.

Stained glass rose window

Located above the organ pipes, this window was a gift made by the late Henry Todd.

Stained glass window

Designed in the Decorated Gothic style by Messrs. Cottier & Co., of London, this window was dedicated in 1888 to the memory of The Very Rev. Dr. William Fleming Stevenson (Minister 1860-1886), by the members of the congregation. The subject is Paul taking leave of the Elders of the Church of Ephesus.

Carved organ screen

Intricate carvings depicting nature and also featuring the Burning Bush (top centre). Dating from 1953, this is part of the "Memorial to the Fallen" - also a carved oak seat in front of the organ seat and behind the Communion Table.

Communion Table

This table dates from 1901 and was donated by the family of Rev. Dr. William Fleming Stevenson (Minister 1860-1886). It was made in India by members of the Mission School, of which Dr. Stevenson's son, the Rev. J. Sinclair Stevenson, was in charge. There is a silver inscribed plaque on the table surface.

Communion Table Plaque

This silver plaque and communion table to which it is affixed, were donated in 1901 by the family of Rev. Dr. William Fleming Stevenson (Minister 1860-1886).

Pulpit Fall

The gift of the late Mrs. W. H. Tennant in 1959, for the celebration of the Centenary. It was designed by Miss. Myra Maguire of the Genealogical Office, Dublin Castle and embroidered by Miss. Evelyn Lyndsay.

Memorial corner

In 2000, a memorial book and area for reflection were established, in remembrance of past members and associates of the church.

Drawing by Elizabeth Chalmers

Christ Church Rathgar.

Lecture Hall

This hall is located directly beneath the church and was renovated in 2006.

Orwell Hall

Formerly known as the Badminton Hall and renamed the Orwell Hall in 2006, upon completion of extensive renovations (including the addition of a mezzanine room, with storage rooms beneath same).

Front doorway

Looking out onto the front car park and Rathgar village.

Gargoyle

One of four gargoyles located at the base of the church spire.

Drawing by Elizabeth Chalmers

Christ Church Rathgar (as a negative image).

Floodlighting Plaque

Category winner in the Millennium Floodlit Building Competition, 1988.

Floodlighting

Christ Church Rathgar after installation of external floodlighting in 1988 - since then, known locally as "the floodlit church".

Snow scene

Kindly taken on 2nd December, 2010 by a passer by (thanks Caroline!)

Snow scene

Kindly taken on 2nd December, 2010 by a passer by (thanks Caroline!)

Snow scene

Kindly taken on 2nd December, 2010 by a passer by (thanks Caroline!)

CCR c. 1900

Early print of Rathgar crossroads and Christ Church Rathgar (centre).

CCR c. 1900

Early photograph of Rathgar crossroads and Christ Church Rathgar (centre).

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa mid 1980s, showing rathgar village (centre) and Christ Church Rathgar (right).

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa mid 1980s, showing Christ Church Rathgar and the Tennant Hall (to the rear of the church).

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

Rathgar Aerial View

Circa 2006.

 

** Additional photographs can be viewed in the History section **
 


 

Christ Church Rathgar are not responsible for the content of external websites, nor do they necessarily endorse their sponsoring organizations.

 

Copyright © 2005 onwards - Christ Church Rathgar

Contact
contact

Christ Church Rathgar, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland.